Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A "Best" Side



Apart from a couple great R&B covers, I've never really thought much of Manfred Mann. Don't get me started on "Blinded by the Light." While record hunting I always come across hundreds of copies of "John Hardy," and "Quinn (The Eskimo). I view those records as being a little on the weak side. This gem is the exact opposite. I found it in a lot sale that I bought. The A side is "Ragamuffin man." The A side is very poppish, not really my cup of tea. But when I flipped the 45 over, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this psychedelic dirge. I love its overall drone-like sound. The lazy, dreary, drug-induced vocals. The fuzz guitar. A pure 100% gold Psychedelic nugget! Definitely shines a new light on the Manfreds.

2 comments:

  1. Next time you see an original copy of "Do Wah Diddy" on the Ascot label, grab it. Trust me. The song, "What you gonna do" on the flip side is one of the greatest British R&B punk tunes i've come across in a long time. I had no idea, i took a chance because i like hearing the b sides... Some of the best 40 cents i ever spent.
    This ones a pretty cool psychedelic jam too, never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that on an LP. One of the few others tunes by them that I like! Great number!

    ReplyDelete