Sunday, March 28, 2010

Junior Sollars and the Story of the Creepers




I'm pretty sure all of you are familiar with the legendary Creepers 45 on Rene called "Jammin' Granny." Well I happen to live in the same small Indiana town as Creepers guitarist Willard Sollars Jr. (known today as Junior Sollars). On a whim, I found his number, and called him. We hung out for a couple hours. He was really cool, and had no idea how much his 45 is admired. I am thinking about doing a biography/documentary on him and the Creepers, as well as Harry Weger (the country singer who produced the 45).
He has a huge shed full of memorabilia and a lot of cool info on the band. His father, whose pictures really intrigue me, was a hillbilly singer in the 30's and 40's named Willard Sollars (also known as Webb Sollars). Which I plan to learn more about and perhaps get some recordings of. Junior told me some cool facts about the Creepers; Jr. Sollars, a right-handed guitarist, has only two fingers on his left hand! He also said that in '65 they tried to pitch the 45 to Sam Phillips at Sun, he has some rare recordings of the Creepers live, as well as music from some of his post-Creepers bands, and he stated that the Creepers made two LPs.
This is a huge project that I am undertaking, I think it would be cool to bring a lot of this stuff to light, and to uncover the career of his father, whose pictures make him out to be the "Howlin' Wolf" of country music. I already took a bunch of pictures that are just awesome. Please let me know what you guys think about me doing this, because you guys are the people who really care, and are the fans of the Creepers and their sole 45. Please email me if anyone would like to see some pictures! Please give me feedback! Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. I, for one, certainly would like to know more about the Creepers.

    Their 45 was produced by Harry Weger. See http://thatsallritemama.blogspot.com/2009/12/harry-weger.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own that 45, actually sold a second copy to his grandson. Awesome info on Harry Weger (awesome site as well)! Yeah, he just had the most fascinating things to say! He told me a really cool story about when he was first learning how to play guitar; he was sitting on his porch practicing a Dave Clark Five song, when a black man walked and showed him some blues riff. This riff became the foundation of "Fried Potatoes." I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for the interest and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it man. Guys like this deserve the recognition. There are no deadlines on it, so take your time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and the fact that this guy played w/ two fretting fingers! How cool to be able to sit down and drink coffee w/ someone like this . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jeff! Great recent post on Seger's 2 + 2 = ?. Love his early stuff (I'm actually from the Ann Arbor/Detroit area). Junior Sollars seemed very smitten that I took such an interest in him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. he is my step grandpa:)he gotts it good

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my amazing grandpa! He is pretty great! :)
    Love,
    KatyBug :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my BEST FRIENDS, amaazing Grandfathaa! :) I have to agreee w/ Katy that Junior is pretty truckin' great! :) i see him almost every other weekend! :)
    From,
    Lindley Truckin' Marie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My uncle John Ford was the drummer for the Creepers and they are awsome! Please send more info and pictures so I can share with the Ford Family

    ReplyDelete