Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shock Rocker


You know a record is good, if the first few seconds of it are a declaration
of love screamed from the top of the lungs. Oh, and it helps too if Ike Turner is at the piano. Probably, or should be, a big hit with the Northern Soul crowd. This record, from 1961, is a prime example of that transitional phase from rockin' R&B to a more soul sound. Prior to this 45, Billy Gayles (guess he dropped the y) played with Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm. Great record, although it could definitely
use some bluesy guitar work. "I'm Hurting," by Billy Gales on Shock; great name for a record label!

Billy Gayles with Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm - I'm Tore Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfwQv367Qs

2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of Billy Gayles, but checked out his music after your blog post. I really liked "I'm Tore Up" & "Do Right Baby" but "I'm Hurting" was by far my favorite. The intro pulls you in right away and the rest of the song doesn't disappoint either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one! It was released with two different labeldesigns! This one, and the rarer one got some shockwaves around the label's name! Anyway, fantastic record!!!

    ReplyDelete